Saturday, November 5, 2011

Halloween and more fall fun

We had fun making lots of Halloween goodies, we made jack-o-lantern pizzas, candy corn sugar cookies, mummy grahams...

And doing lots of fun learning activities, I love to modify the stuff I'm doing with my first graders for him and he sees me making all the stuff all the time, I hate saying "No, you can't play with that because it's for my "other kids"!
 Number recognition and one to one with Halloween stickers.


And we made this huge felt tree for his room.  He now has a huge wall with this tree, a log, and a pond...I'm sure there is more to come, ha! We sing the Dr. Jean..."5 little monkeys swinging in a tree, teasing Mr. Alligator, can't catch me..." with the monkeys you see in the picture.  There are also apples that go on the tree for one of our songs.  And we have a set of alphabet cards I made for Chica-chica-boom-boom, I know it's not the same kind of tree, but it works just as well! :) Then he has frogs for the log..."5 green and speckled frogs...", fish for the pond, pumpkins for the ground, and we sing and take away and count and identify numbers, letters, colors, shapes.  We've had so much fun singing and acting out stories.  Love when we can have so much fun and he is learning so much at the same time. 



He loves using this tape measure Daddy gave him.  He measures everything...EVERYTHING!  Here he is measuring "The Great Pumpkin" from Grandma and Grandpa.  It weighed just under 50 pounds!




Measuring the face drawing ideas.  It is so cute how he measures.  He pulls the end out and looks at the beginning of the tape measure, just as he is in this picture, and he says..."It goes all....the....way....to.....1!"  With major exasperation!!!  Every single thing he measures goes all the way to 1!  Ha!  Definitely no number sense and the teacher in me is fighting to ask him, Can those really both be 1?! and sit him down to practice but the mommy in me has been able to resist that temptation so far. :)


The result!


 Jaxson was a dinosaur this Halloween. He wanted to be Mickey Mouse but the outfit didn't come together like I had hoped and he is really crazy about dinosaurs right now so we resorted to Plan B. Plus listening to him sing..."I'm a little tiny dinosaur, dinosaur, dinosaur. I'm a little tiny dinosaur, hear me roar---Rahr! I'm a big hungry dinosaur, dinosaur, dinosaur. I'm a big hungry dinosaur, hear me roar--RAHR!" Is just the cutest thing in this world. :) Halloween weekend we spent between Night of the Living Zoo and at friends' houses.  It was a great weekend and as a result we have a little boy o.b.s.e.s.s.e.d with candy!  Jason took some to work and I put the rest in my treasure box at school so it's out of sight and hopefully eventually out of mind for a little while.










When I was taking pictures, he kept asking me, "Did you get my tail?"  Ha ha!

 
Trick-or-treating, for the first two houses he was excited by the "Look their light is on, we can go to that one!" but after two houses he was DONE!  We couldn't believe it.  "I'm all done, I want to go play with the girls (his daycare friends)."  "I have enough candy, let's go back to the girl's house." 

It was a fun weekend, next post--bathroom remodel! Or I guess it never was "modeled" to begin with so...bathroom model? :)

1 comment:

The Helm Family said...

I wish I had your ideas!! He is such a lucky little guy!